Job 38 Outline
– God spoke to Job from a storm (Job 38:1-3)
– Job was not around when God created the earth (Job 38:4-7)
– Job was not around when God created the sky and sea (Job 38:8-11)
– Job is not able to call morning over the whole earth (Job 38:12-15)
– Job does not know the abode of light or darkness (Job 38:16-18)
– Job does not know the storehouses of snow or hail or lightnings or east winds (Job 38:19-21)
– God brought the constellation together on its season (Job 38:22-30)
– Job has no authority over the clouds, rain or lightnings (Job 38:31-33)
– God provides food for the wild animals and birds (Job 38:34-38)
Job 38 Summary
In Job 38:1-3, God spoke out from a storm to Job. God first rebuked Elihu who gave the wrong counsel to Job. Previously, Job was fighting against God and complaining to him about his problems. Now, God challenged Job to be like a man and answer all the questions which he will ask.
In Job 38:4-7, Job was not present at the time God laid the earth’s foundations. Therefore, Job did not know the measurements of the earth. The angelic beings, called the morning stars, witnessed the God’s creation of the earth.
In Job 38:8-11, Job was not present when God made the sky on the second day and the sea on the third day.
In Job 38:12-15, God questioned Job if he had commanded the morning to began even once in his lifetime.
In Job 38:16-18, God questioned Job if he has enter before the springs of sea, walked in the search of the depth, seen the gates of death, seen the doors of the shadow of death, or know the breadth of the earth.
In Job 38:19-21, God questioned Job if he knows the abode of light or the place where darkness reside.
In Job 38:22-30, God questioned Job if he has enter the storehouses of the snow or hail before. He asked Job if he knows the way where the lightning is dispersed or where the east winds scattered over the earth. God is the one who created a channel for the torrents of rain and thunderstorm to water a land.
In Job 38:31-33, God is the one who bring the constellations in their seasons including the Pleiades, Orion, and Bear with its cubs.
In Job 38:34-38, Job has no authority over the clouds and make them rain, or send out lightning. God is the one who give us wisdom and understanding.
In Job 38:39-41, God is the one who provide food for all the animals on the earth including the wild animals and birds.
Job 38 Bible Study
1. God is the creator of the universe
God created everything in this universe. God’s divinity is manifested in the natural surroundings. In Romans 1:20, for the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse. In Jeremiah 51:15, he hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heaven by his understanding.