2 Chronicles 27 Outline
– Jotham started reigning in Judah at the age of 25 years old (2 Chronicles 27:1)
– Jotham was obedient to God but the people continued their corrupted ways (2 Chronicles 27:2)
– Jotham rebuilt the temple’s Upper Gate and did extensive work on the wall at the Ophel hill (2 Chronicles 27:3)
– Jotham built the towns in the hills and forts and towers in the wood (2 Chronicles 27:4)
– Jotham conquered the Ammonites and the Ammonites paid tribute to him (2 Chronicles 27:5)
– Jotham became powerful because he loved God (2 Chronicles 27:6)
– Ahaz succeeded his father, Jotham, as king of Judah (2 Chronicles 27:7-8)
2 Chronicles 27 Summary
Jotham succeeded Uzziah as king of Judah when he was 25 years old. He was obedient in following God’s commandments and God made him powerful. He conquered the Ammonites and the Ammonites had to pay 100 talents of silver, 10,000 cors of wheat and 10,000 cors of barley. The people of Judah did not turn away from the corrupt practices. Jotham rebuilt the towns at the Judean hills. He built forts and towers in the wooded areas. He rebuilt the Upper Gate of the temple. He carried out extensive work on the wall located at the Ophel hill. Jotham ruled for 16 years in Judah. After he died, his son, Ahaz succeeded him as king over Judah.
2 Chronicles 27 Bible Study
1. To love God is to obey his commandments
Jotham walked steadfastly before God and carried out his commandments. To love God is to obey his commandments. As conquerors in Christ, it is not difficult to carry out God’s commandments (1 John 5:3). In Matthew 11:30, Jesus said his yoke is easy and his burden is light. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). In John 14:15, Jesus said if you love him, you will obey his commands.
2. Blessings for those who obey God
Jotham was obedient to God so God made him powerful. Jotham care for God’s house. He rebuilt the temple’s Upper Gate. Because Jotham cared for God’s business, God helped him to become powerful so that the Ammonites paid tribute to him. Deuteronomy 28 contains a list of blessings that God promised to the Israelites if they are obedient to him. If you want God to bless you in your life, you must abide in his commandments. In Exodus 23:25-26, worship God and respect him by carrying out his commandments and he will bless your food and water and take away sickness from you and non will miscarry or be barren and he will give you a long life. In Leviticus 26:3-5, God will bless your food if you are careful in obeying his commandments.