Leviticus 17 Outline
– The Israelites must sacrifice an animal as fellowship offering at the entrance to the tent o f the congregation (Leviticus 17:1-7)
– The Israelites must offer a sacrifice at the entrance to the tent o f the congregation (Leviticus 17:8-9)
– The Israelites must not eat blood (Leviticus 17:10-12)
– The Israelites must drain out the blood of any animal or bird they hunt and cover with earth before eating (Leviticus 17:13-14)
– The Israelites must wash his clothes and bathe himself if eat anything found dead or killed by wild animals (Leviticus 17:15-16)
Leviticus 17 Summary
God instructed Moses to tell Aaron and the Israelites that anyone who wants to sacrifice an ox, lamb or goat in or outside the camp must offer it as a fellowship offering at the entrance to the tent of the congregation.
The Israelites must not offer any sacrifices to the goat idols, to which they prostitute themselves. Anyone including the Israelites or alien who offers a burnt offering or sacrifice without bring it to the entrance of the tent of the congregation will be cut off from his people. God forbid the Israelites to eat blood because life is in the blood.
Anyone who hunt any animal or bird must first drain out its blood and cover it with earth otherwise he will be cut off. If anyone including native born or alien eat any creature found dead or killed by wild animals, he must wash his clothes and bathe himself with water and he will be unclean until evening. He will be held responsible of he did not wash his clothes and bathe himself.
Leviticus 17 Bible Study
1. The fruit of lips that confess Jesus name
God forbade the Israelites from offering sacrifices in any places in the camp or outside the camp except at the tabernacle. Since the old covenant is abolished, no sacrifice will now be accepted by God except the sacrifice of praise ‘“ the fruit of lips that confess Jesus name (Hebrews 13:15). In Acts 4:12, there is no other name by which we can be saved except through Jesus Christ. In Romans 10:9, if you shalt confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God had raised him from the dead, you shall be saved.
2. Don’t eat blood
God forbid eating blood because blood contains life. In Acts 15:20, we are to abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. Eating raw blood or cooked blood dishes are forbidden by God.